equitable distribution, final judgment, parties, obligations

Enforcement Actions

Often times, one or both parties have obligations that extend beyond the final judgment. These obligations include alimony, child support, payment of equitable distribution, transfers of retirement and/or bank accounts, obligations to sell property and divide proceeds and more.

Unfortunately, all too often, one former spouse (or both) defaults on his/her obligations. When this happens, the innocent party may take action to enforce their rights pursuant to their final judgment.

For the payment of alimony or child support, the innocent spouse must file a Motion for Contempt, seeking to have the defaulting party held in contempt of court. A motion for contempt carries with it the threat of incarceration for failure to pay support obligations if the defaulting party is proven to have willfully defied the court order.

enforcement actions, motion, court

Motion for Enforcement

For all other issues, the innocent party would file a Motion for Enforcement.

This motion asks that the court compel the defaulting spouse to abide by their obligations pursuant to either the final judgment or the parties' settlement agreement, if they entered into one.

If the innocent spouse does not then abide by the court order of enforcement, the person then risks imprisonment for failure to comply with the order of enforcement.

If you should have questions about enforcement actions, we are here to discuss them with you.

Please call (407) 425-8878 to schedule a thorough and confidential consultation.

Our goal is to have your needs met and your problems addressed.

Contact us